Thursday, March 12, 2009

Reaction and Links

So far, I am still very pleased with the novel. The plot is turning out to be suspensful and full of action. I was very delighted at how much I wanted to continue reading the book. There is a nice chapter layout in the novel layout that leaves very captivating cliff hangers at the end of each chapter. I was suprised at the death of Mattie's grandfather because it was very sudden and unexpected. However, I do feel like it added an interesting twist to the story although the even itself was upsetting.


This is a link to a history site that tells all about what life in Philadelphia during 1793 was like. The city was known as having yellow fever during this period of time. The yellow fever was not a small ovurrenc that only half the city experienced, it was an epidemic. This site gave me a good idea of what was really occuring with the Yellow Fever beyond what I am being told by Mattie (the narrator). Mattie states that all of the doctors were unaware and all had different opinions about the Yellow Fever because none had the correct technology to realize that the fever was a result of mosquitos. I also found it interesting after reading in the book that the doctor had bled Mattie's mother to cure her that in fact these doctors were only doing this because they did not know what to really do. The doctors had resorted to extreme measures to make it seem like they knew how to cure the fever, when in fact they did not. There were many interesting things in this site but those were the few that I found most interesting.






This video is simply a video that a few kids had made on the novel if it were to have a movie trailor. I thought that it was actually quite true to the story and did give me a good picture of what was happening through the story. You can see Mattie as she finds a girl named Nell on the streets who have lost her parents. You can also see the scene where some robbers broke into Mattie's house and ended up killing her grandfather. These main events were shown in the video along with others that I have yet to reach in the novel.

2 comments:

  1. I would agree that this book would definitely be a lot less interesting if it had just been a historical reenactment of the fever, through a secondhand account. I remember when I was younger this book was a very popular and often read novel, but i have never read it, as the topic did not seem to overly appeal to me. However you're summaries and discussions about the book may actually change my mind, even though I do not typically like books that i have a tough time connecting with, which, once again, is why im not a very biog fan of historical novels.
    I followed the links and watched the video that you've posted for this week and i found them both very interesting, more so the website than the video, but both were interesting. I am glad to see that you're enjoying the book and I would really like to see how the development of the actual fever and disease affects her life as a young girl in Philadelphia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma, you seem like you are really enjoying your book, which is great! I personally enjoyed the movie a lot, after having read the book myself. I understood what was going on quite well, and I remember the market scene and when the grandfather died with the most detail. After reading the website and watching video, I am more accurately able to envision the fear and panic that swept through the city that accompanied the fever. I am very glad that I wasn't alive at this time! I just have one question for you. Do you know why mosquitoes don't carry the disease anymore or if it will ever come back?
    In addition, I'm surprised that you haven't mentioned the boy that Mattie takes a liking to. I think his name was something along the lines of Nathan or Nathaniel and remember him quite clearly as the painter's apprentice. It would be great if you could discuss him in your next section. Great job!

    ReplyDelete