Thursday, March 26, 2009

Final Thoughts and Reactions

After having completed the novel I believe that it is a very informative and well-written book that everyone should have the opportunity to read. However, I believe that the ending was very predictable. I was hoping that the novel would end well, but I was also hoping that there would be a twist. 
To summarize the ending the frost had come and the fever was almost entirely gone. Although grandfather had died, Matilda, Eliza, Nell, Nathaniel and many other characters were still alive and working to recover from the hardships. Mattie chose to reopen the coffehouse with Eliza and Nathaniel also aided them in regaining their business. Mattie contuniously tried to listen for news of her mother who had gone away to the country, but after many days of no sign she had figured that she had died from the fever. However, after everything seems to become normal again, Mattie's mother arrives, sick and pale, in a carriage back to home. In the end, Mattie has almost taken her mother's place. She is the one who gets up the earliest, watches the little kids, cooks, and cleans. The ending can simply be summed up by saying that Laurie Halse Anderson points out the various way in which Mattie has grown after going through a truly strength testing experience like the yellow fever. 
Although I felt as if we all knew that Mattie's mother would return based on how the book was heading, it was none the less very entertaining to read. I thought it was interesting how the author used a full-circle ending in the novel, however she started the book with the mother getting up early and being in charge of everything and ended with Matilda being the one to get up early and run the coffeehouse. I found this to be a very creative and effective way of writing that helped to point out the obvious change and transformation that the main character had underwent during the entire experience. 

2 comments:

  1. Emma,
    That is really cool about the full circle ending, and also great of you to notice it! Mattie seems like she has grown up a lot; from being a helper girl to running the coffeehouse in just a summer. I'm not sure if I would have been able to do that if I was in Mattie's place. I just want to know, what happens to the yellow fever? Where does it go and why don't we get it anymore? Good job on your entire blog, writing thorough entries and always getting them in on time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the frustration associated with predictability in novels... It's, of course, inevitable when writing about specific historical figures and events, but should not be so with fictional characters. I'm glad you enjoyed the book anyway, though. Unfortunately, I read this book quite a while ago, and I don't remember it well enough to state my opinion about the full circle ending and other stylistic details.
    Anyway, your blog was really nice to read throughout the project.

    ReplyDelete